I was just smacked in the face with what a beautiful blessing our baby is. (not that I don't already know that!)
I was reading my favorite website (celebrity babies!) and the story of this couple who did IVF twice last year. The first time, they got pregnant, but then she miscarried. The 2nd time, it didn't work and they did not get pregnant.
I hate that when people hear that we were able to get pregnant with IVF, the first thing I wonder is if they are thinking that IVF is a guarantee, and "well, of course you got pregnant! You did IVF!"
IVF is very much NOT a guarantee! As mind boggling as it is, just because you have two growing embryos put in to your womb, it does not mean that they are going to stick and grow and become a tiny human!
If you read about families who do IVF, there are cases where a couple will do IVF 5 or 6 times to finally have their first successful pregnancy!
If you look at our story from day one, and think about how it took us 5 (long!) years of fertility treatments, prayer, and anxiety to become pregnant, you may think what a shame that is, and possibly feel pity for us. (I know I did feel pity for myself in the early years!) But now that we are pregnant, and I know that this baby was meant for us all along, and the fact that we were so blessed to have IVF work for us on the first try, I feel like I wouldn't want our story any other way.
I've thought to myself before how I do not want to forget what it felt like, those days of despair when I'd hear the news of someone being pregnant and I'd just sit and cry and cry. All of those agonizing days lead us to this point, where now I can look back and see how incredibly blessed we are. To know that some families have been trying to have their first child longer than us, and they are still waiting. That doesn't seem fair, but hopefully one day soon, they will get to look back with thanks on their story as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment